Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Food from Garbage?

A friend came by today and told me that they had just seen a branch laden with chilli peppers lying by the garbage bins at the end of the street. 

On the whole, people in this part of Greece don’t go for hot and spicy food that much. An extra twist on the pepper grinder may already be too much for many people I know!

You can often see chilli plants growing in gardens though. Why? Because they’re colourful and attractive! The owners wouldn’t dream of actually eating the fruit.

This branch turned out to be an entire plant that had lost it’s leaves and (I guess) was no longer regarded as attractive enough to warrant it’s place in the garden. At least the gardener here had put the plant, roots and all beside the bins rather than actually in one of them (I might have drawn the line at that).

Anyway, seizing the moment, I retrieved the branch and now I have a supply of hot red chilli peppers in the cupboard that should last until... well, a long time anyway.

Like everywhere else in life. You have to take the opportunities when they present themselves.

1 comment: